- 240 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- 180 grams unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 4 eggs, extra, separated
- 90 grams brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 grams all-purpose flour, sifted
- ½ teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 40 grams toasted and ground hazelnuts (can also use ground
- 220 grams granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, sifted
- 25 grams cocoa powder, sifted, plus extra for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch (24 cm) round
spring form cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine the chocolate and butter and
place over a pot of boiling water, ensuring the bottom of the bowl isn’t
touching the water. We want to use the steam to gently melt the chocolate and
butter. Stir occasionally until the mixture is melted then set aside and let
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whisk
attachment, add the eggs, 4 egg yolks, brown sugar, and vanilla and mix on
medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, combine
the flour, baking powder, and ground hazelnuts and mix well.
- Once the egg mixture is light and fluffy, add cooled melted
chocolate mixture and gently fold to incorporate. Then add the flour mixture
and gently fold until combined.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake pan and bake for 30-35
minutes. Take the cake out of the oven and set aside while you make the
- Increase the oven temperature to 350°F. In the bowl of an
electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on
medium-low. Once the egg whites form soft peaks, gradually add the sugar in a
slow and steady stream. Don’t just dump it in! Add the vinegar and increase the
speed to high and whisk for another 2-3 minutes until the meringue is thick and
- In the meantime, combine the cornstarch and cocoa powder and
sift to remove any clumps.
- Once the meringue is thick and glossy, gently fold in the
cornstarch and cocoa powder until combined. Spoon the meringue on top of the
partially cooked cake.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the meringue is
crisp and cooked.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before
running a knife around the edge of the cake and gently removing from the spring
form pan. Allow the cake to cool and then refrigerate for 2 hours before
serving. Dust with cocoa powder to serve.
This Recipe adapted from >>>> Click Here