Ingredients for Choux Pastry:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour measured correctly
- 4 eggs (large), room temperature
Ingredients for Cream Filling and Garnish:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream chilled
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 28 raspberries optional
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar to garnish
How to Make Cream Puffs:
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with
Silpat or parchment paper.
- In a Medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, 8
Tbsp butter, 1 tsp sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring just to a boil over medium
heat then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup flour all at once with a wooden
- One flour is incorporated, place back over medium heat
stirring constantly for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to release extra moisture and
partially cook flour. A thin film will form on the bottom of the pan and dough
will come together into a smooth ball.
- Transfer dough to a large mixing bowl and beat using an
electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute to cool mixture slightly. Add 4
eggs, 1 at a time, allowing to fully incorporate between additions. Beat
another minute until dough is smooth and forms a thick ribbon when pulled up.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2″
round tip. Pipe 28 puffs, each 1 1/2” diameter and 1/2” tall rounds. Keep them
1″ apart and avoid making peaks* but if you do get peaks, wet finger tips
lightly with water and smooth them out.
- Bake at 425˚F for 10 minutes in the center of the oven.
Without opening oven, reduce temp to 325˚F and, bake 20-22 min longer or until
golden brown on top. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Whipped Cream:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups heavy cream, 4 Tbsp
sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy with
stiff peaks (2 min). Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large open star
- Once cream puffs are completely cooled, fill them with
cream. There are 2 ways to fill them: (#1) pipe the cream into the puffs by
pushing the pastry tip into the side and piping until cream pushes back, or
(#2) Cut off tops of puffs and pipe cream inside using a pastry bag, push a
raspberry down into the center if desired, then cover with the tops. Dust with
powdered sugar and serve.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE